New York Medical College owes its founding in 1860 to the vision
of a group of civic leaders in New York City who believed that medicine
should be practiced with greater sensitivity to the patients. The
group, led by William Cullen Bryant, the noted poet and editor of
the Evening Post, was particularly concerned with the condition
of hospitals and medical education. Bryant was zealously devoted
to the branch of medicine known as homeopathy, which, among its
tenets, advocated moderation in medicinal dosage, exercise, a good
diet, fresh air and rest in treating illness. The school opened
as the New York Homeopathic Medical College.
Eye and Ear Infirmary is an Affiliated Teaching Hospital of New
York Medical College.