About Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt
Faculty & Staff
Outside of Work
Research is an essential component of the educational process for training pulmonary-critical care medicine residents. Because we recognize that not all residents are suited for careers in basic research, we provide a research experience that is adapted to the needs and skills of the individual. Research projects are integrated over the 3 years with elective time available for data analysis and writing.
A broad program is available to the fellows which include basic mechanisms of disease at the cellular and molecular level as well as clinical studies for evaluating mechanisms and therapies. Diseases studied include chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency, bronchiectasis, pulmonary hypertension and asthma. Programs also exist in the development of biomarkers for lung disease and pulmonary hypertension with a special focus on COPD. Mentors guide fellows through the process for their research project. Resources for research include IRB guidance, and availability of statistical support. Fellows receive funds to present their work at national and local conferences, including ACCP and ATS.
- The CCU Survival Guide, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Expected Release Date: June 2011. In print:
Pulmonary Embolism, R. Minkin, MD, H. Grosu, MD
Mechanical Ventilation – V. Patel, MD and J. Shapiro, MD
End-of-Life Care in the CCU – J. Shapiro, MD
- Castaldi P.J., DeMeo D.L.,. Kent D.M, Campbell E.J., Barker A.F., Brantly M.L., Eden E, et al Development of Predictive Models for Airflow Obstruction in Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency American Journal of Epidemiology 2009 170 (8):1005-13
- Eden E. Asthma and COPD in Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Evidence for the Dutch Hypothesis. COPD 2010, Vol. 7; 5: 366-374
- Eden E. Diagnosis and Treatment of Severe Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency. U.S. Respiratory Disease 2010, 5 24-27.
- Eden E and Turino GM. α1-Antitrypsin Deficiency. Lessons from Longevity. Editorial Chest 2009; 135 591-592
- Herzog E, Shapiro J, Aziz EF, et al. Pathway for Management of Survivors of Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Critical Pathways in Cardiology 2010; 9:49-54.
- Khouli H, Jahnes K, Shapiro JM, et al. Performance of Medical Residents in Sterile Techniques During Central Vein Catheterization: Randomized Trial of Efficacy of Simulation-Based Training. Chest 2011;139:80-87.
Poster Presentations/case reports
- Belova, E; Sotelo, A. Difficult Diagnosis of Abdominal Pain in the Patient With Infective Endocarditis. [American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010]
- Eden, E; Turino, GM. The Bronchiectasis Research Registry: Clinical, Microbiologic, & Treatment Characteristics. [American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010]
- Gupta P, Dasgupta R, Hussain N, Shapiro JM. Diffuse Alveolar Hemorrhage as the Presentation of ANCA-Negative Pauci-Immune Crescentic Glomerulonephritis. [American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010]
- Habboushe, J; Gerolemou, L; Minkin, R. A Case of an Anomalous Innominate Artery Causing Tracheal Compression in an Adult, Misdiagnosed as COPD. [American College Chest Physicians, Philadelphia, October 2009]
- Lee Y, Dasgupta R, Shapiro JM. Impact of Nosocomial Bacteremia in the Medical ICU. [American College of Physicians, Vancouver, October 2010]
- Minkin R, Grosu H, Tartell L, Ma S, Lin YY, Eden E, Turino GM, Detection of Elastin Degradation Products in the Urine and Blood of Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. [American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010]
- Shapiro JM, Dunn ML, Eden E. Impact of a Rapid Response System in an Academic Hospital Center: Outcomes and Perceptions of Medicine Residents and Nurses. [American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010]
- Steenkamp, D; Patel, V; Minkin, R. A Rare Complication of Diabetic Ketoacidosis: A Case of Pneumomediastinum. Submitted, in print.
Research in Progress
- AMBITION: A Randomized, Multicenter Study of First-Line Ambrisentan and Tadalafil Combination Therapy in Subjects With Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (Industry Sponsored). Minkin R, Eden E.
- Bronchiectasis Research Registry. Eden E, Turino, GM.
- Clinical Outcomes Study to Compare the Effect of Fluticasone Furoate/ Vilanterol Inhalation Powder 100/25mcg With Placebo on Survival in Subjects With Moderate Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and a History of or an Increased Risk for Cardiovascular Disease (Industry Sponsored). Eden E, Turino GM.
- Decision Making in End of Life: Individual Preferences: Khouli H, Shapiro J, Harris G, Dasgupta R, Homel P, Braun N.
- Detection of Elastin Degradation Products in the Urine and Blood of Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Minkin R, Eden E, Turino GM.
- Diaphragm Muscle Atrophy in the Intensive Care Unit. Rose K, Grosu H.
- Medical Residents Performance in Medical Code Training: Effect of Simulation Based Training. Khouli H, Shapiro J, Rose K, Eden E.
- Phase IIa, Ascending Dose, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Safety of ETX-100 Inhalation Solution in Subjects With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (NIH Funded). Turino GM, Tartell L, Eden E.
Conferences: Planning and Lectures
- Intercity Pulmonary Fellows Symposium, December 2010
- Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Palliative Care Conference, November 2010