Dental care carefully coordinated with cancer treatment
The Department of Otolaryngology at Mount Sinai Beth Israel was one of the first programs in the country to recognize the importance of specialized oncologic dentistry-dental care carefully coordinated with head and neck cancer treatment. Our dental and maxillofacial prosthodontists bring the highest level of expertise and experience to preventative cancer dentistry and oral, jaw and facial prosthetics.
To accommodate your busy schedule and treatment plan, our oncologic dentistry and all related cancer services-prosthodontics, imaging, surgery, pathology and biopsies, medical oncology and radiation therapy-are conveniently located under one roof in Mount Sinai Beth Israel's Phillips Ambulatory Care Center (PACC) on Union Square in New York City. We provide:
- Seamlessly integrated dentistry and multidisciplinary cancer care
- The most comfortable, functional and natural-looking prosthetic facial devices
- Streamlined implantology at time of primary surgery using state of the art computer assisted treatment planning and surgical navigation
Preventative dental care for healthy teeth and mouth-now and after treatment
Our oncologic dentists are specially trained in head and neck anatomy and pathology and understand the structural and tissue changes that occur in the mouth and gums after surgery and radiation. To assure optimal nutrition-and to prevent discomfort and infection-our dentist provides a continuum of care:
Before treatment with
- Comprehensive dental and oral evaluation
- Customized dental trays for at-home fluoride treatments
- Protective dental guards that spare healthy tissue during radiation therapy
- Jaw exercises to prevent treatment-associated muscle tightening
- Dental extractions, when needed
During treatment through
- Check-ups that support and monitor at-home oral care
- Soothing sprays and medications to ease pain, dryness and swelling
After treatment by
- Regular follow-up dental care for six months
- Monitoring for mouth dryness, jaw stiffness and infection
Natural-looking prosthetics provide optimal results
The ability to chew, swallow, speak-and confidently return to work, family and social life after head and neck cancer surgery-are some of the immeasurable benefits of beautifully crafted, permanently anchored dentition and prosthetics. Our head and neck and maxillofacial prosthodontist is one of the country's foremost experts in oncologic and cosmetic prosthesis. We provide:
- Implants at the time of primary surgery to speed recovery time and give you attractive, functional and permanently anchored teeth soon after treatment
- Permanent teeth after major revascularized jaw surgery and other complex oral cancer reconstructive procedures
- Fully functional, permanently anchored-and beautifully natural-looking-prosthetic palates, prosthetic eyes and noses to replace deficits associated with injury or cancer treatment
Perfect teeth in days: immediate implanted dentition provides the fastest permanent dental replacement
When you lose teeth-through injury, oral surgery or gum and tooth disease-the loss often profoundly affects your nutrition, general health, emotional well-being and self esteem. While traditional implants work for many, our Department now offers an advanced option to provide immediate, permanent teeth.
Supported by state-of-the-art proprietary technology, our head and neck and maxillofacial team offers eligible candidates:
- Beautiful, rapidly constructed dental prosthetics: natural-looking teeth permanently placed within 7-10 days of a first consultation with our team.
- No general anesthesia: the ultra-accurate, minimally invasive procedure requires only local anesthesia.
- Speedy recovery: most patients can eat within hours of surgery, and some return to work the same day as their dental procedure.