Whether you are looking to gain experience in health care or just trying to brighten someone’s day, many of our patients benefit from interaction with volunteers. By engaging in a friendly conversation or acting as an advocate, you help to ease the mind of a patient and his or her family.
- B.I. Cares Program (Petrie Division, Phillips Ambulatory Care Center & Kings Highway Division)
Volunteers will be able to advocate for our patients during their hospitalization by approaching a patient as a friendly visitor to see how they are doing and to provide the patient the opportunity to know that Beth Israel Medical Center is here to help them and their family.
- B.I. Blanketeer Program (Petrie Division & Kings Highway Division)
Volunteers knit or crochet baby blankets for special needs newborn patients. We provide the yarn for each blanket. Application Packet not required; call (212) 420-3570.
- Cancer Center (Petrie Division)
The volunteer will be a friendly visitor to our patients on the Cancer Center units, providing conversation and support to both the patient and or family member. Available for only 18 years and above.
- Office Assistant Opportunities (Petrie Division, Phillips Ambulatory Care Center & Kings Highway Division)
Volunteers provide office support to various departments and special projects.
- Patient Library Cart (Petrie Division)
Volunteers provide reading material – current books and magazines - to our adult patients.
- Pet Assisted Activities Program (Petrie Division & Kings Highway Division)
Volunteers who have a dog and would like to share their dog with our patients can become part of our Pet Assisted Team after completing a training course from the Good Dog Foundation. Once you and your dog pass the training you will be able to visit patients.
- Surgical Advocate Program (Petrie Division & Kings Highway Division)
Volunteers are advocates stationed in the surgical waiting room to provide non-medical information to family members while they are awaiting surgery to be finished. Volunteers also accompany the family members to the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) to see their family members after surgery. Available weekdays only.
Ready to volunteer? Fill out an application, then call us in Manhattan at 212.420.2974 or for Brooklyn only 718.951.9424 or email us today. Don't hesitate to ask about other opportunities at Beth Israel Medical Center.