Child Health Plus
Child Health Plus is an insurance program sponsored by the State of New York for children up to age 19 of families who are New York State residents, who do not qualify for Medicaid and have no other health coverage.
The program works by giving you the opportunity to have your child or children join a managed care plan. You have to select a primary care physician for your child when you join. You also want to be sure that the plan you pick works with the hospitals, clinics and doctors that you want to use. Continuum Health Partners primary care physicians and specialist physicians participate in the following Child Health Plus plans:
- ABC Health Plan
- Well child care
- Physical exams
- Diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury
- X-ray and lab tests
- Emergency care
- Prescription and non-prescription drugs if ordered
- Inpatient hospital medical or surgical care
- Short term therapeutic outpatient services (chemotherapy, hemodialysis)
- Limited inpatient and outpatient treatment for alcoholism and substance abuse, and mental health
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Speech and hearing
- Durable medial equipment
- Emergency ambulance transportation to a hospital
- Are under age 19
- Have little or no health insurance
- Are not eligible for Medicaid
- Are New York State residents
Family size and annual income determine cost of coverage. Coverage could be absolutely free to you or you may be required to pay a minimal monthly premium. Monthly premiums vary slightly from year to year.
On site enrollment is available at Continuum Health Partners hospitals in Manhattan. You can enroll on-site at Beth Israel Medical Center, Phillips Ambulatory Care Center, New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, Roosevelt Hospital and St. Luke's Hospital. It is suggested that you bring documentation with you to the enrollment worker to complete a Child Health Plus enrollment application. Documentation needed is described below. To schedule an appointment for on-site enrollment, please call the appropriate contact number in the Contact Us section of the website.
Documentation Required To Complete Enrollment
- Child/children age(s) - birth certificate; passport; hospital or religious record.
- Residence within New York State - Recent rent receipt (within the last 6 months);utility or tax bill. You must provide proof of your physical address, not a mailing address (i.e. post office box).
- Proof of income - a written statement or copy of check or stub from your employer, person or agency providing income. Please provide all that may apply - Wages, Current W-2 Form (If dated other than March 31 of given year, must be accompanied by another form of documentation). Paycheck stubs of last 4 consecutive weeks; Unemployment benefit check; Social Security Award Letter (if applicable).
- Proof of Other income-Any other income should be documented.
Following is a list of acceptable documents. Please note that other documents
may also be accepted.
Self employment-present a copy of signed tax return, including Schedule
C for small business owners
Child support or alimony-a copy of your child support or alimony check
Military affiliation-a copy of your award letter or check stub
Veteran's benefits-a copy of your benefit check stub
Worker's compensation-a copy of your award letter
The following Hospitals participate in Child Health Plus:
Beth Israel Medical Center
Phillips Ambulatory Care Center
New York Eye & Ear Infirmary
St. Luke's Hospital